The idea for these cupcakes came to me during the first bite of the Double Choc Cookie Cupcakes, the cupcakes have a hard cookie base and I thought they would make a great start to a “Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake”, so I added a vanilla cupcake batter, some stewed strawberries and a whipped cream top – Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes have been born!
I must say they are delicious! The cookie base adds a great texture and crunchiness to the cupcake (I know I will be using this idea over and over again in future creations) which marries so well with the light and fluffy cupcake batter and the fresh taste of strawberries and whipped cream complete this package perfectly! These will be loved by all who try them
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Original Creation by myfoodobsession.com
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) plain sweet cookie crumbs (I used Marie biscuits)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) white chocolate, finely chopped or grated
Vanilla Cupcake Batter
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk
Stewed Strawberries (you could substituted the stewed strawberries for Strawberry jam if fresh strawberries are not available)
- 200g (7 oz) fresh strawberries, chopped finely
- 1tbs caster sugar
- 2tsp powdered gelatine dissolved in 1tbs of water
- 600ml (20 fl oz) full fat whipping cream
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 6 strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 180c (374f) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Make the cookie bases: Place biscuit crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a bowl; stir until well combined.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cookie mixture into the bottom of each cupcake case and use the bottom of a small glass to pack crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Place 2 teaspoons of white chocolate in each cupcake liner on top of the compacted cookie base. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until the edges of the cookie bases are golden, about 5 minutes then allow to cool completely.
- Increase oven temp to 200c (400f).
- Meanwhile, make the cupcake batter: Put all the ingredients for the cupcake batter except the milk into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel to make a smooth dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the cooled cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. They should have risen and be golden on top.
- Let them cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack.
- Make the Stewed Strawberries: (if using Jam skip to step 10) place the strawberries, water and caster sugar in a small saucepan and cook for 5 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Add dissolved gelatin and stir mixture to combine well then remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, cut out a cone in the middle of each cupcake and fill with the stewed strawberries (or jam if using). Cut away the bottom tip from the cake cones removed and place the top half on the cupcakes so it covers the strawberry filling completely.
- Whip cream and vanilla extract with an electric beater in a medium bowl until stiff.
- Pip onto cupcakes and top with half a strawberry.