Yum Yum Yum…. these became an instant favorite of mine and I can assure you they will be accompanying every pizza night from now on. You can cut down the cheese for an even healthier version but I wouldn’t get rid of it altogether. The cheese adds flavor, creaminess and moisture to the spinach filling.
I made them with whole wheat pizza dough but if you are really adverse to whole wheat you can make them with white pizza dough. As mentioned on my earlier pizza post, the whole wheat contributes to the combination of textures and flavours and certainly does not detract from the scrumptiousness of this delightful side dish. So delightful I’m submitting it to Yeastspotting!
Scrumptious Spinach Calzones
Original creation by myfoodobsession.com
Makes 4 calzones
For the Spinach filling:
- 250g (9oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250g (9oz) ricotta Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 – 3tbs fresh mixed chopped herbs: I used parsley, basil, rosemary, sage, oregano, mint and thyme. I love fresh herbs, so I added more rather then less.
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the bread machine dough (enough for 4 calzones)
- For healthy whole wheat pizza dough click here
- For regular white flour pizza dough click here
- 1 beaten egg extra for calzone assembly
- Start the pizza dough in a bread machine as per recipe.
- Preheat oven to 200c (400f) and line 2 flat cookie baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the filling and stir to combine well.
- Grab a large handful of the finished dough and with a rolling pin, roll out to a 25cm (10inch) circle. (The dough should be about 1/2 cm or 1/4 inch thick.)
- Divide the filling into 4 and spoon 1/4 of the mixture into the circle. Brush half of the edge with the extra beaten egg, then fold over dough to form a semi-circle shape and seal the edge.
- Cut 2 small air holes in the top of the calzone (this helps prevent the calzone from bursting open during baking) then brush the top with beaten egg and place on the prepared baking trays.
- Assemble 3 more calzones following steps 4 – 6.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until golden. Enjoy!