This is my husbands all time favourite pizza. I first made it when his vegetarian Aunty and Cousin were visiting from Scotland, admittedly I was in a bit of a panic as to what to make, being at the time, a self confessed meat-a-holic with no meal being complete without beef, chicken, pork or lamb! Finally I found this recipe and gave it a go – I was shocked! The pizza had so much flavour, yet where was the meat? I never thought vegetarian could be this tasty and afterwards I was left feeling light yet fulfilled.
These days I am proud to say we are primarily (but not exclusively) vegetarian eaters. I have become addicted to how good I feel after every vegetarian meal – I hadn’t realised how heavy and stodgy meat can be.
Roasted Vegetable & Feta Pizza
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au & allrecipes.com
Makes 3 pizzas
For the Bread Machine Pizza Dough
- 1 1/4 cups luke warm water
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered milk
For the Roasted Vegetable Topping
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red and 1 yellow capsicum, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 large fat-free pizza bases
- Tomato pizza sauce or passata
- 200g (1/2 lb) low-fat feta, crumbled
- 4 – 6 tbs of fresh, finely chopped mixed herbs such as: parsley, chives, basil, sage etc.
- Place all the ingredients for the dough in the pan of a bread machine, in the order listed above (or as suggested by the manufacturer) and select the dough cycle.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping: preheat oven to 180°C (350f). In a large bowl toss the pumpkin, capsicum, onion and zucchini with oil, then season and place on 2 large baking trays (to fit vegetables in a single layer).
- Roast for 10 minutes, then remove zucchini and place in a large bowl. Return trays to the oven for 10 more minutes or until pumpkin is tender and capsicums are a little charred at the edges. Add to zucchini, then set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 200°C (400f). Divide the finished pizza dough into 3 and roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Lightly flour 3 baking trays and place 1 rolled out base on each tray.
- Spread pizza sauce on bases and top with roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with feta and mixed herbs and bake for 15-20 minutes until feta is golden.
- Slice each pizza into 6 and serve.