Mmm…. these were so good! My favorite of the two were the Raspberry and Custard, the tart raspberries went so well with the sweetness of the custard and the dough. I would like to try fresh Blueberries in replace of the blueberry jam next time as well as have a go at a apple and custard scroll.
Raspberry Custard Scrolls & Blueberry Jam Custard Scrolls
Makes 6 x Raspberry Custard Scrolls and 6 x Blueberry Jam custard Scrolls
Original creation by myfoodobsession.com
- 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup corn flour (cornstarch)
- 200g (7oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3-4tbs blueberry jam
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2tbs of water
- Place ingredients for the dough in the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
- After the dough cycle has completed and the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F) degrees and line a large rectangular baking tray with baking paper.
- For the custard filling: Combine the milk, cream & vanilla extract in a medium saucepan. Using a sharp knife, split vanilla bean in half length ways and scrape the seeds out. Add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil).
- Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Remove vanilla bean from the milk mixture. Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to saucepan over medium – low heat. Cook, stirring constantly until custard thickens up, the custard mixture should be quite thick. Cool.
- Roll rested dough into a 50×40cm (16×21 inch) rectangle and evenly spread over the cooled custard filling.
- Sprinkle the raspberries over one half of the custard and dough and the blueberry jam over the other half.
- Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls.
- Place rolls on the baking pan and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, or until the scrolls have cooked all the way through about 18 – 22 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and place on a cooling rack, cool completely.
- Make the Icing: In a medium bowl, stir together the icing sugar and water. Drizzle over the cooled scrolls.