Finally, Mangoes are here! Summer is my favorite time of year for fruit, the main reason being ‘Mangoes’. I have been eating them for weeks now. Every Sunday I wake up with excitement at the prospect of buying more Mangoes and I quickly get dressed and head down to the local produce market for some reasonably priced Mangoes. I bought a whole tray of them last Sunday and have been savoring every one.
I have had this recipe in mind to try for the last couple of years. This sounds like a long time but keep in mind it does involve a seasonal fruit. This cake is a fruity take on the Italian dessert Tiramisu, it is a quick and easy non-bake cake and looks sensational. I would urge you to definitely make the Raspberry Sauce – it is heavenly and complements the other flavors fabulously.
Mangomisu with Raspberry Sauce
For the cake:
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 600ml thickened cream
- 1/3 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
- Juice of 3 oranges
- 300g (11 oz) savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
- 3 large or 4 medium mangoes, flesh sliced 1cm (1/4inch) think
For the Raspberry Sauce:
- 1/4 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 250g fresh or frozen raspberries (thawed)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Line the base of a 22cm spring form cake pan with plastic wrap or baking paper.
- Place mascarpone, thickened cream, icing sugar, egg yolks and vanilla seeds in a large bowl. Beat with an electric hand beater on high until thick and well combined.
- Combine the Grand Marnier and orange juice in a separate bowl. Dip half the sponge fingers into the orange mixture and layer in the base of the cake pan. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the sponge fingers and top with half the sliced mango. Repeat the process, taking care to arrange the mango slices on top decoratively.
- Cover the cake and chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- For the raspberry sauce: place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve: carefully remove the sides and bake of the cake pan and transfer the Mangomisu to a platter, slice and serve with raspberry sauce.