This cake is FANTASTIC! I guarantee you will be the hit of the party… I know, I was LOL
It starts off like a Pavlova: beat egg whites then add sugar slowly….. but ends by folding in Hazelnut Meal. This does wonders for the texture of the cake and although it may seems like a pav in disguise it deserves to be viewed in it’s own right.
The cake is then indulgently covered in rich chocolate ganache before being topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. I know what you thinking, but just ignore the diet the day you decide to bake this one – trust me, it’s worth it!
Plus, if you are gluten intolerant – it’s gluten free!
Hazelnut Gateau with Strawberries & Cream
Recipe adapted from cuisine.com.au
For the cake
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 200g (7oz) hazelnut meal (ground hazelnuts)
- 1 tbsp cooled espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp cornflour
For the ganache
- 120ml (1/2 cup) cream
- 160g (6oz) good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 punnets strawberries (500g/ 1 pound)
- For the cake: Pre-heat oven to 160C. Whip egg whites till firm, gradually add sugar, then vinegar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in ground hazelnuts, coffee and cornflour and spoon into a fully lined 27-28cm springform tin.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Cool. (The gateau can be made the day before and stored in an airtight container.)
- For the ganache: Gently heat the cream until almost simmering, add the chocolate and remove from heat. Leave to sit for a few minutes then stir until combined. Pour over gateau and allow to set.
- To assemble: Whip cream with vanilla extract, spoon onto the gateau and top with strawberries.