These are lovely delicate ginger sandwich cookies complete with double ginger filling. You could fill them with any flavor icing but I wanted an intense ginger taste. Can you have too much ginger? I have slowly become a huge ginger fanatic: ginger beer, ginger cookies, chocolate covered ginger, ginger cake, ginger ale – it is all fantastic!
These sweet little cookies are addictive and you’ll find the batch will quickly disappear. My batch lasted a few hours….
Makes 20 sandwich cookies
For the cookies
- 125g (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain (all purpose) flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup cornflour (cornstarch), sifted
- 4tsp ground gigner
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground cloves
For the double ginger cream
- 60g (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- 2tbs finely chopped glace ginger
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp milk
- For the cookies: Preheat oven to 180c (350f) and line 2 cookie trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and egg in a medium bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in sifted dry ingredients.
- Roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls, place balls about 5cm (2inches) apart on trays and pat down the dough balls slightly to form fat discs.
- Bake about 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven, loosen cookies then cool on tray. Sandwich cookies with ginger butter cream.
- For the double ginger cream: Beat the butter in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in half the icing sugar and milk then repeat. Beat in the glace gigner and ground ginger until well combined.