If there was one dish that summed up summer it would be ‘Salad’. Light, refreshing, cool tastes and unlimited possibilities: with meat, without meat, potaotes, pasta, leafy greens, fruit and of course we can’t forget bean.
I used ‘McKenzie’s Four Bean Mix’ for this recipe, kindly supplied by the good people at McKenzie. It’s a mix of Red Kidney Beans, Green Baby Lima Beans, Cannellini Beans and my favorite the Chickpea. The beans are a great combination and the contrast of colours make this salad instantly appealing.
I made the ‘Four Bean Summer Salad’ to share with my Great Aunt, Great Uncle and Grandmother and was shocked to hear they had never tried a bean salad before. It’s safe to say that by they end of lunch they were officially converted to bean salad lovers and were more than happy to have the left overs for tea.
It surprises me sometimes that people can go through their lives without experiencing some of the best food the world has to offer. Food is an exploration for me, just like travelling or expanding ones minds through reading /cinema / music, my taste buds are on the never ending journey to conquer anything and everything edible.
I think this generation is extremely lucky and is perhaps the generation best versed in worldly cuisine to date with all kinds of food readily available at local supermarkets or at the wide range of restaurants just waiting for our business.
Four Bean Summer Salad
Serves 8 as a side
For the salad:
- 375g (13 oz) packet of McKenzie’s Four Bean Mix
- 4 spring onions (scallions) sliced thinly
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded and diced
- 1 avocado, deseeded and chopped
For the dressing:
- 2tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1tsp crushed garlic
- 2tbs hot water
- Prepare the McKenzie’s Four Bean Mix as suggested on the back of the packet.
- Place all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad and toss gentle to coat. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.