As a self confessed chocoholic Easter is one of my favorite times of the year and despite being an adult I insist the Easter Bunny visit!
Adapted from a recipe by Nigella Lawson
- 125g butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat oven to 200C (400f) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Put all the ingredients except the milk into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel to make a smooth dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. They should have risen and be golden on top.
- Let them cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Decorating these cupcakes were the most fun. I pipped royal icing on them first then covered and decorated them with molding fondant and licorice for the bunny whiskers.
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon or lime juice
- Combine the egg whites and icing sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until opaque and shinny, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in juice, this will thin out the icing. Beat for another couple of minutes until you reach the right consistency for the cupcakes.