I seem to be going coconut crazy! Coconut chocolates, Coconut cupcakes …… I wonder if Coconut marshmallows would work?
I made these Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes for a baby shower and topped them off with a green butter cream using a Wilton ‘grass and hair’ icing tip and lady bug chocolates. The grass was really effective and looked great. However, if you want even more coconut flavour sprinkle some shredded coconut on top
These cupcakes are easily made Dairy free by substituting the butter for a Dairy free margarine. The butter quantity is so little you can’t even tell. Of coarse the butter cream frosting won’t be suitable but this is easily fixed! Just use an icing sugar and water combination, lightly ice over and sprinkle with coconut.
Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from aww.ninemsn.com.au
- 40g (1.5oz) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160c (320f) and line 10 holes of a muffin tin with paper cups.
- With an electric hand mixer cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until light, fluffy and well combined. Add egg and beat until combined.
- Stir in half the sifted flour then half the coconut milk, then repeat with remaining flour and coconut.
- Fold in shredded coconut.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared cases. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Top with frosting when completely cool.
Enough icing for 1 cake or 12 cupcakes
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing (confectioners) sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3 drops food coloring, or as needed (optional)
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached
- Top cupcakes.