Every single day Christmas gets closer and closer and I get more and more excited! Throughout the year I put aside ideas and recipes to consider as part of my ‘Day of Christmas Cooking Madness’. I set aside one day early to mid December and go nuts in the kitchen making 5…. 6…. 7…. finger sized treats to see me, family and friends through the Christmas season. I like to make them a few weeks before Christmas and enjoy them during the lead up rather then on the day because there is always SOOOOO much food on Xmas day that you don’t really get a chance to savor these little treats they way they deserve.
So what is on my list this year? Cherry Coconut Bon Bons are!! These little bites are just delicious! Gooey cherry coconut mixture encased by a crunchy dark chocolate shell. I like to think they are similar to the Australia candy bar ‘Cherry Ripe’.
One thing is certain about these little balls: their success all comes down to the kind of Coconut flakes you use. You will lose texture if you use the desiccated variety, I used ‘McKenzies Moist Flakes Coconut’ (which the good people at McKenzie were kind enough to provide) they are long strips of sweetened shredded coconut but aren’t dry like shredded coconut usually is. I use them in most cases where coconut is called for when baking/treat making: they are great for ensuring my cupcakes and cakes stay moist and provide great texture: they really make the Coconut Almond Bars I made recently.
Cherry Coconut Bon Bons
- 200ml (7 fl oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2tsp cherry brandy flavoring or cherry flavoring
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar, sifted
- 300g (11 oz) McKenzie’s Moist Flakes Coconut
- 350g (12 oz) red glace cherries, diced finely
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut for rolling
- 450g (16 oz ) dark chocolate suitable for coating
- Line a 23cm x 33cm (9 x13-inch) slice pan with baking paper.
- Combine condensed milk, cherry flavoring, vanilla extract, and salt in a bowl.
- Add icing sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
- Add ‘Moist Flakes Coconut’ & glace cherries and stir until combined.
- Chill mixture in refrigerator until easy to mold, about 1 hour. Take 1 tablespoon of mixture at a time and roll into balls, then roll in desiccated coconut.
- Line a cookie tray with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and dip the balls into the chocolate, covering completely, and place them on the prepared tray until set. Store finished balls in the refrigerator.