Under normal circumstances, I’m not a huge popcorn fan but while walking around a ‘Duane Reade’ drug store in Manhattan I came across a big barrel of ‘Delish Double Chocolate Popcorn’ which tickled my fancy. I admit is was the double chocolate part which caught my eye but who could not love popcorn drizzled with white and dark chocolate! Mmmmm…. I’m drooling at the thought.
Then, while on a quick stop over in the UK I came across a packet of ‘Marks and Spencer’s Belgian Milk Chocolate Coated Butter Toffee Popcorn’ – no it isn’t as good as it sounds, it’s better! The whole packet was devoured in mere seconds and I was left with the feeling of wanting more and more and more.
So, I guess it is fair to say I am a converted popcorn lover…. that is when it is covered in lush caramel or drizzled with rich chocolate (or in other words sugar!).
I like my popcorn lightly coated with caramel, so I have used quite a lot of popcorn. If you would like a really thick caramel coating I would suggest using 1/2 cup – 1 cup of popcorn kernels.
Caramel Chocolate Popcorn
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 100g (3.5 oz) dark chocolate melted
- Lightly coat two large, heatproof rubber spatulas, a very large mixing bowl and two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or a thin slick of oil.
- Pop popcorn in a popcorn machine or as directed on the packet according to the manufacturer. Transfer to the prepared bowl, removing any unpopped kernels. Toss with salted peanuts.
- Have the two large baking sheets ready. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, salt and 1/2 cup water. Cook over high heat, without stirring, until the mixture becomes a light golden-yellow caramel, 10 to 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully whisk in the baking-soda (the mixture will bubble up).
- Immediately pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn. Working quickly and carefully, use the prepared spatulas to toss the caramel and popcorn together.
- Spread the popcorn caramel mixture onto the baking sheets and quickly separate them into small pieces while still warm. Cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes then drizzle over melted chocolate.
- Once chocolate is set, store in an airtight container.